I must admit, I’m not the world’s most amazing cake decorator, although I sure wish I was. I don’t do well with piping bags (they always tend to have holes) and in general, frosting simply hates me…That’s why for today’s post, I made some DIY cake toppers to save myself from all that trouble.
If you’re really bad at cake decorating like me or you just want to try something different, this DIY is for you! You can also use these as a substitute for candles (I did because I didn’t have the candles ‘1’ and ‘9’. 😀
- Thin cardboard
- Glitter contact paper or washi tape
- Stick a strip of the glitter contact paper or washi tape onto the cardboard.
- In pencil, draw on the shape you want to cut out. I drew two stars and the numbers 1 and 9.
- Cut out the shapes.
- Then, cut identical shapes out of the contact paper or washi tape.
- Lay the skewer down on the back of the cardboard shape. Then stick the identical contact paper/washi tape shape onto the back to secure it in place. (As shown in the picture)
- Put these onto your cake, along with some sparklers and other candles to complete the look!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media for future updates!