Ah, the sun’s out, music’s on, and there’s nothing that needs to be done…I simply love the holiday season. These past few weeks I’ve been spending my spare time making little crafts, drawing and other mindless projects requiring not much thinking whatsoever. It’s been like paradise, and I’m seriously dreading going back to school! But what has to be done, will be done, I guess. And the least I can do is prepare myself for those busy days ahead!
This week I took some time to personalise my 2016 diary so that it’ll be pretty and perfect for writing down all those important dates, exams and to-do’s. I’m so in love with how it turned out, especially because it was completely unique and my own design. So far, I’ve made a little pocket to hold my notes and stickers, and also covered it with my favourite fabric.
Today I thought I’d make a tutorial on how I covered my diary, so you can try it out for yourself. It was so simple to make and is the perfect way to personalise plain notebooks. I even added a little elastic with a charm over the diary to secure it closed. I’ll definitely be doing more of this with my other books!
- Plain notebook
- Nice fabric
- Large paint brush
- Craft glue
- (Optional) hair elastic and a charm
1. Use scissors to cut a rectangle of fabric, around 3cm larger than the actual size of the notebook.
2. Use the paint brush to spread glue all over the front cover of the notebook. Then, press the fabric onto the front cover, remembering to leave the 3cm border around the edges. Also, make sure there are no air bubbles.
3. Now that the front cover is glued on, paint some more glue onto the spine of the book then press the fabric on.
4. Now that the fabric has been glued to the front and spine of the book, spread glue all over the back cover and press the fabric on.
5. Now, open the notebook to the first page. Use scissors to cut two slits at the top and bottom of the fabric, right where the spine is (see photo for reference). Then, glue down the edges of the fabric to the back of the front cover.
6. Then, smear glue all over the back of the front cover and stick the adjacent page over it. (This is to hide the ugly fabric at the back of the front cover).
7. Turn over to the back of the notebook and repeat steps 5 and 6: glue down the edges then glue the adjacent page over it.
8. Snip off the excess fabric that’s left sticking out at the top and bottom of the spine. Now if you close the notebook, you should have a beautiful new cover!
9. (Optional) Grab a spare hair elastic and wrap it around the notebook to keep it secured closed. Add a charm to it for an elegant touch!
I’m so happy with how my diary cover looks now, especially with the elastic and charm (they add the perfect embellishment!)
Follow me on social media for future updates!