It’s f-f-f-finally Friday! You know what that means? No school for another two days! Also, it’s time for another DIY. Today’s idea is a little bit different to the ones I usually do. I tried to be creative and ‘think-outside-the-box’ and came up with something I hope you’ll enjoy.
I never know what to do with my empty cosmetic bottles and containers once they’re all used up. My rational mind always tells me to “just throw them out!” but then the other side of my brain (the hoarding-stingy-let’s-pretend-to-be-creative side) urges me to “keep them in case they ever become useful”. Judging by my craft drawer filled with piles and piles of junk, you could probably tell which side I listen to more.
However! For this DIY, I am super glad I kept one of my old lip balms because it certainly came in handy. Today I’m going to show you how to make a secret pen using an old lip balm tube… and did I mention DIY clay?
The best part? You’ll most likely find all of these materials around your house. I was actually going to go out and purchase some real air-dry clay to use in this tutorial but I realised that not everyone has that at home, so I opted for DIY clay instead. I’m calling this a win-win situation because I even saved myself some $$$!
Oh and yes this is another YouTube video tutorial! I hope you find it fun to watch.
Before we begin anything…
Materials needed for the DIY Clay:
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of craft glue
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of oil
- A spoon
- A microwavable bowl
- A microwave
What you’ll need to make the Lip Balm Pen:
- A clean empty lip balm tube
- The inside of a ballpoint pen
- Acrylic paint
- A paint brush
- DIY Air Dry Clay (see ingredients above)
- Add corn starch, craft glue and oil into a small microwavable bowl and stir it around a little
- Put the bowl into the microwave and heat for 20 seconds
- Remove from the microwave then mix the mixture again until it all combines into a big blob. You may like to play around with it using your hands to make sure it’s evenly combined. It should now be the consistency of ‘clay’
- Clean out your old lip balm tube
- Bit by bit, squish your DIY clay into the Lip Balm tube
- Cut the pen a little bit shorter than the length of the tube
- Poke the pen into the clay in the tube
- Use your fingers to smoothen the clay surrounding the pen
- Let the clay harden for at least 3 hours
- Use acrylic paint to paint the clay so it blends in with the tube
You now have yourself a pen…disguised as a lip balm. Welcome to the squad of secret agents who own super cool gadgets that aren’t what they seem!
I hope you enjoyed this DIY. Let me know how you go!
Follow me on social media for future updates!